Principle: Develop warm, caring relationships
- "...we should definitely talk more about this!"
- "...I’d love to hear more ideas so we can unpack this even more." [Open up to class].
Principle: Encourage Peer Connection
"With your base groups,[1,2] discuss who you think is the coolest science person out there!"
- 1(1994). "Cooperative base groups". Chapter excerpted by the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development. Retrieved from http://www.ascd.org/publications/books/194034/chapters/Cooperative-Base….
- 2(2003). Approaches to cell biology teaching: cooperative learning in the science classroom—beyond students working in groups. Cell Biology Education, 2, 1-5. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC152788/.
Principle: Illuminate ways students might identify with teacher and within science
- "...who can share an example of this from their real life?"
- "...are there other phenomena that you can think of that are interesting to you as an example of this concept/idea?"